Why start Vlogging?
These days, everyone and every Business is starting a Vlog.
Mainly because videos have become extremely important in 2021. Text is becoming outdated. And if you want to stay ahead of the curve, then you need to step up your blogging game and incorporate videos in your Blog.
The best way to do this?
Start a Vlog!
As long as you identify your target audience and stick to your niche, you cannot fail!
Now, as a Beginner Vlogger, it is super easy to set up your iPhone as a camera.
However, I will highly suggest that you invest in a good quality camera if you want your videos to be clean, sharp and crisp.
Not to mention, it will really help boost your views faster.
How does Vlogging help your Blog?
- Whether you have a Food Blog, or a Travel Blog, incorporating videos will really help increase your traffic and gain a larger audience.
- Videos help your audience engage with your content and it can even lead to your posts going viral.
- Another advantage of embedding videos in your Blog is you are actively decreasing your website’s bounce rate because people will stay longer on your website.
This will help you grow in Google’s eyes.
The possibilities are endless! Not to mention that visual content really helps charm people’s pants off.
A camera used by a blogger has to be first and foremost – versatile.
It has to be fast, light, easy to use and still give a great output. Retrieving images or video from the camera should also be easy.
I cannot tell you how hard it is to start looking for vlogging supplies by yourself. It can get so confusing because there are so many cameras out there and these Camera Companies make different cameras for different situations, for different types of photos.
This post will help you choose the perfect camera for your Vlogging needs.
I will also suggest a few supplies you can get to make your Vlogging journey so much easier.
So, without further ado, let’s get into the best cameras for vlogging!
This post includes affiliate links to products I truly (from the bottom of my heart) recommend, meaning at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small percentage which I will use to feed my poor, hungry dogs.
What are Mirrorless Cameras?
In 2019 we have the dawn of a whole new breed of cameras, the mirrorless cameras!
The image is directly captured onto the camera sensor owing to a phenomenal increase in image quality and massive control over the colors, contrast, brightness, tones and saturation [insert other fancy words here] that help get you a great image.
The fanciness just doesn’t stop…
So, let me start with the…
1. Canon EOS Rebel T6 Bundle Kit (approx $449)
This is by far one of the best camera kits I would suggest for a beginner Vlogger.
Pros of the Canon EOS Rebel T6
- Ready to Shoot, Right out of the Box – The Canon EOS Rebel T6 comes with three lenses, a 48GB SD Memory Card, Flash, UV Filter, Tripod, and oodles of other important accessories. There’s a ton of stuff in this kit. What I love about it is this saves you the time of getting all of these accessories later.
- Fast to Learn, Easy to Use – Canon is known for its super easy interface and doesn’t take long to get used to. There are customized shoot modes that will get your image spot on the way you see it in real life. The output is extremely premium.
- Really Light – This is one of the lightest cameras you can get packed with all these features. It’s weatherproof and sturdy, yet I wouldn’t recommend you playing football with it.
Must Buy Brownies Points:
- Side controls for easy right-handed and one-handed shooting
- 1080p Full HD, sufficient for vlogging
- Light, easy to use and budget-friendly
- 9-point AF System with 3fps burst shooting
- 18MP APS-C Sensor with ISO 100-6400(expandable)
- 1080/30p video capture
- Fixed 3″ LCD Display
- In-build Wi-Fi with NFC
Where it needs Improvement:
As a Vlogging Camera, I would say it requires a tilting display. Excelling in pretty much all spheres, that’s probably the only thing this camera misses the most.
If you are on a budget and want to get a cost-effective camera that does not compromise on quality, then this camera is definitely the one for you.
It comes with a lens, accessories, an interface that’s easy to use and automatic shoot modes.
You really couldn’t ask for more.
The best part is you get everything you could possibly need in this kit!
The Sony Alpha A7 II is among the best Mirrorless cameras for professionals on the market.
It combines efficiency and high image processing power to give you an all-rounded Vlogging camera with impressive shooting speeds.
Pros of the Sony Alpha A7S II
- Unmatched Battery Life – When you vlog, you need a damn good battery! A high-capacity NP-FZ100 rechargeable battery in the Alpha A7 III will last you a whole day easily.
- 4K Full Frame – High-resolution 4K HDR Pictures & Video. Smooth, crisp and clear.
- Quick Focus, Amazing Brightness – It can be tough to get amazing photos after the sun goes down or when shooting indoors. This camera is faster and has more reliable focus speeds for those times when you need to take photos in low light environments.
Must Buy Brownies Points:
- Really good battery power that will easily last you a day, a must when you Vlog!
- Above-average image stabilization and an Autofocus that works in almost total darkness!
- Easy on the pocket, feature-packed and will serve well from Beginners to Professionals
- 24MP Full-Frame Sensor paired with a BIONZ X Image Processor
- 5-Axis Stabilization and a 693-Point AF System
- Ultra HD 4K30p Video Recording
- 3.0″ Tilting Touchscreen LCD with an OLED Electronic View Finder
- Pixel Shift 10fps Multi Shooting paired with high sensitivity ISO 204800
- Built-In Wi-Fi, NFC, 2 SD Card Slots, USB Type-C
- Sealed for Dust and Weather
No forward-facing display, major killjoy when Vlogging.
The Sony Alpha A7 II is a bit pricey but in my opinion, is totally worth it. I have a soft spot for Sony Cameras, Sound Systems and Televisions because their quality goes above and beyond every other competitor.
Sony Mirrorless Cameras as of 2019 are the forerunners in imaging. It does an amazing job every single time!
You can check out some really cool photography and video classes here that are all 1-time purchase and you’ll own them forever.
3. Fujifilm X-T3 (approx $1699)
The Fujifilm X-T3 is just the camera for you. I put it as the all-rounder of this lot of 5. This one’s a born winner for the great outdoors.
Pros of the Fujifilm X-T3
- Lightweight, Grippy & Unmatched Build – The Fujifilm X-T3 had a rubberized case and grips well in your hand. The shell is made from magnesium alloy and is lighter than most cameras in its league. The camera itself is ergonomic and built really well. Minor damages when travelling are a given. Unlike other plastic-cased ones, this one can take a small hit and will still work fine.
- Amazing Auto Modes – Sometimes when Vlogging outdoors, you need to be quick. The auto modes on this camera do great justice to a dynamic set of lighting conditions and the output is without a doubt premium. If you’re not too keen on using a manual setting all the time, this feature is for you.
- Premium Video on the Go– The major challenge a Travel Vlogger has to go through is getting good quality video with oodles of lighting combinations. Very rarely is the environment controllable. That’s where the Fuji X-T3 overcomes all of this. Its superior dynamic processing abilities on auto modes make it one of the easiest cameras to work with on the go. Additionally, it’s got a great set of manual controls like a full-fledged DSLR just in case you need that little touch of genius.
- 24.3MP APS-C Sensor
- Ultra HD 4K Video Recording
- Electronic Viewfinder with a 3.0″ Tilting Touch Display
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi & Flash
The Fujifilm X-T3 does not have the 5 axes on board stabilization like the T2 and depends on lens stabilization.
If you’re a Vlogger and need high-quality videos and photos on the go, look no further.
4. GoPro Hero7 Black (approx $329)
This one is the rugged jack of all trades! The GoPro Hero7 is a marvel in a tiny package.
It’s perfect to be used indoors or for travel. If you’re a Vlogging adrenaline junkie and like strapping your camera onto you, well here’s your choice.
Pros of the GoPro Hero7 Black
- Rugged, Lightweight, Small & Fits Anywhere – The GoPro is light and very small. It was once the smallest action camera available in the market. An exhaustive set of mounts are available for the GoPro that make it fit on a shoulder strap, helmet or even the bonnet of your car. Its wee build, can take quite a few bumps and is also waterproof.
- Unmatched Stabilization – You get steady footage on any terrain!
- The GoPro was built for action. This camera stabilizes like no other. The Videos are always crisp, clear and require no major editing. The stabilization works even with the live streaming function via the mobile app, which is an added bonus.
- 4K Video, GoPro Quik & Live Stream – The GoPro shoots in 4K which is a must these days for vlogging. GoPro provides GoPro Quik, a video editing software that is free.The GoPro Quik software is optimized for GoPro video footage and gives you the power to edit and beautify your videos in a few clicks. Guess what, you can live stream to Facebook & YouTube too!
Must Buy Brownies Points:
- Light, small and fits anywhere
- 4K video at 60fps
- Best in class image stabilization for a package this small
- Robust, waterproof and easily usable in all-terrain
- 12MP Sensor
- 4K Video Recording at 60fps
- 2.0″ Touch Screen
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and App Streaming
Right off the shelf, a GoPro Hero7 isn’t easy to use. You need to invest in a mount and some fittables to suit your use. Though the accessories are plenty, one can get overwhelmed at times.
Vlogging on topics of action can never result in a hazy video when you’re on a GoPro Hero7.
5. Sony Cyber-shot RX100 IV (approx $798)
It’s fast, super smooth and a no-nonsense option.
Pros of the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 IV
- No-Fuss – It’s got a built-in zoom lens and will do a great job on a tripod. This camera is super fast! Clicks and records with amazing quality. It’s a powerhouse without any add-ons.
- Vlogging at a Spot – If your vlogging requires you to stay in one place and shoot, this camera may be perfect for you. It’s got a flip screen that helps you watch and record when shooting narratives by yourself. This is perfect for Make Up Vloggers and Bloggers.
- Video, Bursts & Stills – This little package can outperform most cameras in videos but it also shoots great pictures. Since its fast, it’s got a burst mode so you can also shoot good slo-mo videos.
Must Buy Brownies Points:
- Quick to use for all types of shooting
- 4K Video, great pictures and a burst mode that beats most other cameras
- Light, easy, small and budget-friendly
- 20.1MP CMOS Sensor with a DRAM Chip
- 4K Video at 25fps
- Tilting 3″ LCD Display
- In-built Wi-Fi with NFC
Probably the only limitation on this piece would be the 5 minute limit on 4k video shooting. This is not at all a problem if you’re shooting videos at 1080P.
If you’re on a budget and require a quick, small and no-nonsense option, the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 IV would come in as a blessing. All of its versatile features in one compact package.
Overall, vlogging is an extremely wholesome experience. Once you start shooting and editing videos, you will open up a whole new world of adventure.
Eventually, you will be met with Brand Sponsors and that will help you reach many more monetization techniques that are not possible with just Blogging.
If vlogging is one step too far, I highly recommend starting a blog first to get a taste of having your own creative outlet.
And if a camera is out of your budget, here is a course you can take to learn how to use your own phone to take quality photos and videos.
This is a beautiful class to take if you just want to use your phone for photos and videos.
Creating photos and videos with your phone to impact your Instagram audience is possible with little motivation and the guidance of Nay Jiménez. As a photographer and the founding art director of Fruta Studio, her day-to-day consists of creating visual and creative social media content for brands like Disney, Puma, Samsung, and Leve. Her work is a blend of lifestyle, travel, still-life, and stop-motion. In this course, she shares her techniques for transforming your phone into a potent creative tool.
Learn how to create visual content in the form of images and videos for social media. Focus on colour and composition to give a consistent visual style to your work. Edit each photo and video to create a professional-looking editorial line, for both your Instagram Stories and your feed.
And that comes to the end of the list of great vlogging cameras you should purchase if you want to start Vlogging.
If you’re looking for more traffic tips, you can sign up for my free 5-day email course that will help you learn how you can boost your traffic by implementing extremely easy yet effective tips!
Let me know in the comments below if you plan on vlogging in the future. And if not, what’s holding you back?